Friday, December 31, 2010

America Resolved

I am fond of New Year's resolutions. I feel that we all have a thing or two we could resolve to do better. I am so fond of resolutions that I often assign resolutions to others. I once asked a friend if she would honor my resolution for her before I told her what the resolution was. She said, "Yes." I said, "Okay. Resolve to work on your marriage." She said, "Grrrrrr." But she did and that was a good thing. I have been thinking that there are few things that our country can improve on. So America, listen up. This is your short list (long list to follow).
1. Resolve to give the children back their childhood. Turn off the electronics and send the kids outside to play. Someone said to me once, "Young kids need to learn how to use electronics so they don't fall behind." I asked, "Fall behind what?" I learned how to use a computer when I was in my twenties and believe it or not, even at that old age, I took to it pretty quickly. I have never thought at the end of a day, "I wish I had spent more time on my computer." However, many times I have thought, "I wish I had gotten outside more."
2. Resolve to censorship. Yes, folks, zip the lip. I am actually censoring myself right now. Censor all unholy language, images, thoughts, music and activities. Train yourself to restrain yourself.
3. Resolve to practice kindness. I'm not talking "random acts of kindness," I'm talking purposeful acts of kindness. Think to yourself, "What kind thing can I do for someone on purpose today?"
4. Resolve to be a good citizen. Wake up America! Why should God Bless America if we're not being good citizens?
And finally, an alliteration,
5. Resolve to practice prayer, patience and peace. Praying for others teaches us to be tender hearted, grateful and humble. Patience teaches us to be. . . well, patient for those we pray for. And peace flows from prayer and patience which makes practicing peace a good practice.

Happy New Year!

No comments: