Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Cat Adoptions? Part IV

There are one hundred cats at the shelter in need of homes. Our wealthy benefactor wants to see each one adopted. He is paying a fee to each person who adopts out a cat, plus he's giving each new cat owner a 2 month supply of free litter and food. I now see this as a double opportunity. A way to make some money (I almost said extra money but that would imply I had money already) and an opportunity to share Jesus. You know how my first attempt turned out. . . So, I was bound and determined that I would not let my next chance slip away. I was going to share the good news of Jesus with the very next person who wanted to adopt a cat. This very gruff sounding man answered an ad I placed and he agreed to meet me at the shelter. He showed up on his motorcycle (clue #1 he really didn't intend to take a cat home, they don't even make helmets that small) and wanted to see only tiny, black kittens with white paws (clue #2) and wanted the free food and litter before he adopted a cat (clue #3). Even still, I prayed for an opportunity or an opening to say, "Hey, do you want to know about Jesus?" but the skull and cross bones on his T-shirt and his leather jacket and his motorcycle intimidated me. When he left, I prayed he wouldn't crash on the way home. BUT, I said to myself, "Self, be encouraged, there will be more opportunities," and don't you know when I got home, the answering machine was blinking . . .

No comments: