Saturday, September 22, 2012

Certified

Okay, a funny story, and it is true.  You know I can't  make this stuff up.  I get one newspaper a week and I read it cover to cover.  I am always reading the Employment Opportunities section looking for ways to supplement our income.  I will usually answer quirky and interesting ads.  This week there was an opportunity to work with local folks who suffer from varying types of mental health issues.  Since I already work and volunteer with women who suffer from addictions and mental health issues, I figured this is something that I could do.  The ad was quirky in that it said the person applying must be a consumer of mental heath issues, whatever that means, and willing to run group activities.  After playing phone tag with the person in charge for a few hours (actually five phones calls made back and forth), I was finally able to speak with Ms. B.  We talked a bit about harried days and how calm is better (hmmmm . . . first clue that sumthin' was amiss).  I told her of my interest in running group sessions on a part-time basis and that the center was just a few miles from my home (I did say my home, not the home).  She allowed me to ask a few questions, which she answered calmly and then she offered this, "Do you understand that these groups are client led and the person who takes this job must have or have had mental health issues?"  I could not contain my laughter.  I replied, "My husband would testify to the fact that I do indeed have mental health issues, but I could not get a doctor to confirm it."  Well, we both just cracked up.  She said, still laughing, "Well, I am so sorry you don't have mental health issues!"   I said, "That is the first time anyone has ever said that to me.  Thank you . . . ?" And with that, the phone interview was over!

No comments: