Friday, February 17, 2012

Do You Lie To Your Kids?

I remember once, when the kids were young, I took them to the hardware store and let them all pick out cheap paint brushes. We went home and I filled up a bucket of water and told them to paint the house. They "painted" the outside of our house for hours! When the water got low, I told them to fill the bucket up with paint from the garden hose, which they did. We repeated this activity many, many times in the summer, over the years of their youth. We had a small log cabin in the back yard that Grammy and Pop-Pop bought for the kids. They painted that hundreds of times, too. Today, my kids tell me that they actually thought they were painting. They say, "Mother, you lied to us!" My response, "Oh, come on, how dumb were you?" They say that they trusted me completely and if I told them they were painting, then they believed they were painting. I say, "It's like telling you that Santa bought the gifts on Christmas. It's one of those things that's okay to lie about." They say, "YOU MEAN SANTA WAS A LIE, TOO?!" I am just waiting for them to figure out that the Easter Bunny is not real and the 40 days of fasting from a favorite food before Easter is not actually a requirement for getting baskets and candy. Oh, and I wonder if they'll ever figure out that the Tooth Fairy is not really allergic to dust. Do you lie to your kids?

4 comments:

:)De said...

I never did Santa or Easter Bunny, but tried to do The Tooth-fairy. I will tell you that the thing that blew my credibility out of the water for my daughter was 2 years ago when we were talking about Ground Hog day I mentioned the fact that spring was 6 weeks away from Feb. 2nd no matter what Phil saw or did not see. She was crushed!! As if I had made up the whole shadow thing myself just to rip the fun right from under her marmot-like toes.

So good to "see" you.

Peace and love!

Life Adapted said...

:)De, that is so funny! I did Santa and Easter Bunny because, looking back at my childhood, it was a fun time with my family. Plus, believing in something you cannot see is the first step in believing Jesus Christ.

Love and peace right back at you!

Indian Lake Papa said...

You are kidding right? There is a Santa Claus, right?

Life Adapted said...

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa. :)

How are you feeling?

Be blessed.