Thursday, March 17, 2011

Sheesh

There is a new commercial (maybe it's not new, but I watch so little TV, it's new to me) where a young man gets up to go to the bank and realizes he can now deposit his check by taking a photo of it on his phone and sending it to his bank. In less than 30 seconds the task is done. So, now this guy has some time on his hands. He sits back and relaxes in his chair. On the surface this looks like a great thing, right? I'm thinking I've got to get me one of those new fangled phones (okay, I didn't think that nor do I talk like that). But, here's the thing, is it so bad to have to go to the bank? Is it so great that this guy now has all this time on his hands? Is it good that he had no personal interaction at all? I know I would never remember if I ever really deposited a check or not. I mean, I would likely remember if I got in the car and drove to the bank, however, I probably would not remember a task like hitting a few buttons that took less than 30 seconds. Knowing me, I'd end up trying to deposit the same check a dozen times. Then, I may get arrested for bank fraud, leaving my family and friends to fend for themselves, causing heartache and sorrow for all concerned. How is that a good thing? Get off your duff and go to the bank, sheesh!

3 comments:

R.M. Jackson said...

I could have understood the need to use the service if he had some other pressing business to attend to... as in, one that required movement of the brisk sort. ;)

It seems to me that technology is providing people with the tools to just opt out of life!

And with that, I am removing myself from this chair and heading outdoors with my soon-to-be-5yo old son... Ahhhh! Life! Sure is a breath of fresh air!. :D

Life Adapted said...

Hi Friend! If we (the world, technology) keep going in the direction we are going, we won't have to leave our comfy chairs for anything! Yay you, going outdoors with a boy who probably cares not at all about cell phones that do banking.

Be blessed!

:)De said...

I do hate going to the bank, but I am pretty sure that taking a picture of a check is step closer to being like the people in the movie, "Wall-E". They did everything from their mechanized chair.

Gonna go step on some legos now as I head to wash dishes. LOL!