Thursday, January 5, 2012

A Boy And His Wisdom

The boy was in pain. It's not unusual for something on his body to be hurting since he does everything hard. But this was not an ordinary pain. The whole side of his face hurt. I took him to the dentist and an x-ray revealed an extra tooth growing way back in his jaw behind his wisdom tooth. Off to the oral surgeon this morning we went. Upon further x-rays (and more money) it was determined we had some options. He could remove the upper wisdom tooth to let the little tooth grow, but that would mean removing the lower wisdom tooth so that his bite would not be compromised. This option would only require a few well placed shots of novocain. The other option, surgically remove the extra tooth. This requires general anesthesia, drilling the bone, more risks and of course, more money. The doctor asked what I thought. "Well," I said, "he doesn't actually chew his food anyway, I mean, it's more like gulp and swallow. But on the other hand, removing wisdom from a boy who lacks is never wise (heehee)." Totally not amused by my humor, I asked what he, the surgeon, the one who went to medical school, thought. I might have guessed he chose the option that separated me from the most money. While the boy was coming out of anesthesia I asked, "What is your phone password and do you really like this new girl?" He laughed and asked, "Ma, how much drugs do you think they gave me?" "I see," I said, "they kept your wisdom intact."

2 comments:

Indian Lake Papa said...

Remind me never to ask for you to adopt me - I'll just stay an orphan.

Life Adapted said...

Hahaha - I'd check your teeth before I'd sign any papers :)