Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Soccer Series - Part V

The Fun

We had some fun with soccer for 6 years. We watched our first daughter just bloom on the soccer field. She loved her daddy coaching her, she loved running around outdoors, she even loved those special yellow goalie gloves. She was a great defense player. You had to be really quick to get a soccer ball by her! We watched our second daughter with delight as she eagerly came to every practice and every game. She would bring her "dolla" with her, her little purple suitcase filled with her treasures and as long as we put neon colored shoelaces on her soccer cleats, she was good to go. She earned about 6 items from the dollar store that first year. And our son - watching him was like watching an old Kong-Fu/3 Stooges movie - he'd run up the soccer field, kicking the ball and doing flips and somersaults, jumping over kids and doing The Curly Shuffle after scoring a goal. He always wanted to dump Gatorade on the coach (daddy) after a game (win or lose). He tied his sisters shoelaces together when they weren't looking and barked at them like Curly when they got mad. My husband loved coaching the kids. He knew when to be serious and when to lighten up. He once ducked-taped a kids shoes onto his feet because his shoelaces kept coming untied and when he kicked the ball his cleats would fly off. Me . . . I loved soccer season. All 3 kids were someone else's responsibility for a few hours a week. I got myself a comfy lounge chair, a little sunscreen, a cappuccino and a wallet full of soccer pictures. . .

3 comments:

your oldest daughter said...

"Bloom"? What am I, a flower! I played hard thank you very much, while all of the other little girls were picking flowers during the game. :-D

love you <3

Life Adapted said...

That makes me think of my favorite children's book, "Leo, The Late Bloomer" - do you remember that one? - not that you were a late bloomer - I always said of you, "she was born older"

love you 2

your oldest daughter said...

Awww, I loved Leo! Except yes, thank you, I don't like the implication that I was a late bloomer. ;-)

love you 2? If you're going to try to use cool internet slang, it would be "luv u 2"... although that makes it look like you love Bono... and internet slang isn't really cool anyway...

Um, yeah, not sure where that was going. See you next week! :-)