Friday, June 5, 2009

For Today

I was wondering why I haven't had much to say lately and realized that it's because our life has been so far from ordinary. My kids think there is much to write about because life has been so fast-paced, but I realize that it's not in the extraordinary things that I get my inspiration from, but in the ordinary, the mundane, the routine and the natural flow of our lives. I could write you a storm of words about how rotten certain situations have been lately but what fun would that be? It's in the simple things that I find peace and inspiration. Not that there hasn't been some simple and joyful times - like the cupcakes (see picture on previous post). Have you ever seen three teenagers make cupcakes? It's a hoot! They made enough icing to cover a tennis court, they used six dishtowels to clean up one kitchen and the dog has been licking the cabinets and floors all day for traces of batter and icing. But every time I open the refrigerator and see all that left-over icing, I smile. When I look at those beautiful cupcakes, I smile. When I wash and fold those dishtowels, I'll smile. A few ordinary hours, watching the kids make a few creative cupcakes = inspiration. Sometimes I think we are so concerned about tomorrow and what we will do then that we forget to enjoy today. Sometimes I think we let tomorrow's worries consume our thoughts so that we forget to engage with the here and now. God is present, He is here. Where are you?

6 comments:

Indian Lake Papa said...

Today has been a good day - he has been present.

Life Adapted said...

Amen! And good for you - from reading your blog I knew you were a live in the moment kind of guy.

Be blessed.

:)De said...

Some of my biggest and most satisfying smiles come from wathcing my children do daily "living".

Peace

Robin said...

You are such a good mom! You are an inspiration to me!

Life Adapted said...

Hi :)De, that is so true - I even like to watch them sleep - but, shhhh don't tell them. . .

Be blessed.

Life Adapted said...

Robin, I have missed you so much! I know you're doing your mom thing with a new little one and two older ones, that comes first! I hope to see more posts from you :)

Be blessed.