Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Isn't Life Grand

I had a delightful exchange with my daughter while driving her to voice lessons yesterday. She referred to one of my opinions as being very "middle aged." I asked her what she would call someone who is beyond middle age and she replied, simply, "Old." So, I told her that since I would be 50 this year and that I didn't think I'd live to be 100, that I was I beyond middle age. Then I gave her permission to call me old. She said, "Oh, no, Mom, you'll live to be 100 and probably older. I can just picture you now. You'll be like, 'I'm so happy to be alive. I love my life. Isn't life grand' (in a mockingly sweet old lady voice)." Then she went on to say, "And if I live to be 100 I'll be like, 'Why, oh, why must I still be alive? Wasn't 100 years on this Earth long enough? The pain and the torture to be alive. Lord, take me home!'" She's so dramatic and I laughed and delighted in her imitation of me and her as old women. She promised she'd take care of me if I promised to behave. So, if I do, indeed, live to be 100, that means I am not even a middle aged woman right now (well, not until August anyway). So, don't be calling me old (or middle aged) before my time. And, by the way, I am so happy to be alive and I do love my life and I do believe life is grand . . .

3 comments:

R.M. Jackson said...

I never thought I'd live to see 30... let alone 35, but I'm absolutely delighted to be still alive. I wonder if I'll still feel that way in 30 years.

Let's just pray we don't need to hang around in this world that long (Swear words and the smell of marijuana are drifting through my window from men working on the main road... how much more of this sort of thing can one take?).

Ok, I clearly have issues. I'm off to hunt for that silver lining. ;)

Indian Lake Papa said...

50 in August?! You are catching up with papa and mama! We are in that old category! we love being seniors!

Well - kind of -

Anonymous said...

Your happy to be alive attitude is contagious. Thanks for that! I just love your daughter's take on life. She makes me laugh as much as you do. How blessed you are - both of you! OH,Happy 17th to your special daughter. Your kids are each a Mom's dream....

Enjoying your music here too.
Thanks for the bright spots.
Love, J