Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Small Town Diner

Before my daughter went away this summer to be a counselor at a beautiful wilderness camp (I'm so proud of you, honey) I took her out for breakfast. We went to this small town diner a little over 10 miles away. There is a big diner right in town, but we know so many people in town and we wanted to spend some time praying and just being anonymousItalic. So, we're at this little diner, where we don't know anyone, in a booth away from everyone, just the way we wanted it. We bowed our heads, closed our eyes, held hands and prayed. We prayed for her summer experience to be all God wanted it to be for her. We prayed for the camp and the grounds, the other counselors, the campers, the staff; we prayed for the weather, we prayed for the wildlife, we prayed for blessings to rain down from Heaven and we prayed for God's light to shine in and around my daughter. When we were done, we unclasped hands, lifted our heads and opened our eyes. To our surprise, a lady from the booth across from us was leaning in toward our table and she said, "I could hardly hear you." My daughter and I exchanged a confused look thinking, "Ah, yeah, that's kinda' the point." The woman says, "I could hardly hear what you were saying because the music is too loud, but honey, I was praying right along with you." She smiled at my daughter and said, "God bless you on your summer job, sweetie, and I'll continue to pray for you, okay? " My daughter smiled back at her and said, "Okay." I thought, only in a small town. . .

4 comments:

:)De said...

gotta love when prayer warriors unite!

Peace

R.M. Jackson said...

Love it!

your daughter said...

I like your interpretation of the story... I think you left out most of it. Also, I like the constant "we"... Also, now I blame you for the orientation week weather- it certainly did rain down from heaven. Thanks mom... ;-)

Life Adapted said...

Hi Honey! So, you're home for 17 hours and you waste time commenting on my blog. . .? Okay, I left out the part that the lady was a "bit" crazy, but you have to admit she was crazy in a sweet kind of way, not a scary way. Plus, yes, "we" did pray even if I did all the talking. I loved you being home. . .I miss you already. . .the time went by too quickly. . .bye.