Friday, June 12, 2009

I am the cheese

I am the cheese. Not the "big cheese" as in the big enchilada, but the cheese as in The Farmer in the Dell. You know, "the cheese stands alone, the cheese stands alone, hi-ho-the-derry'o, the cheese stands alone." It's how I feel sometimes. I remember seeing the kids play that silly little game where they all stand in a circle and the farmer picks a wife, the wife picks a child, the child picks a maid, the maid picks a cow, the cow picks a dog, the dog picks a cat, the cat picks a rat, the rat picks the cheese and the cheese stands alone, hi-ho-the-derry'o, the cheese stands alone. I always wanted to run up to the cheese and say, "You're not alone honey, I'm here, I'll stand with you!" But fear of being arrested for snatching up the cheese, I mean the child, kept me from doing so. Can you picture it . . . "Lady, step away from the cheese! This is your final warning!" Wasn't anyone else concerned for the mental well-being of the cheese??!! I know just how that cheese feels . . . standing alone . . . everyone else huddled in a circle . . . standing alone (did I mention that already?). It just may be where God wants us, though. Standing alone, saying what we must, in the name of truth, no matter how unpopular it is. But, I guess I am never really standing alone because Jesus stands with me, in the name of truth. And when my time comes to meet my King, Jesus will stand with me then, too, hi-ho-the-derry'o, I stand with Jesus. . .

4 comments:

R.M. Jackson said...

In JA, that song has another stanza... "And we all take the cheese! We all take the cheese! ...etc." [the circle closes in a hoists the cheese] I guess some Jamaican mother decided it wasn't good for the cheese to be standing alone like that. :D

Standing alone is never easy, but at least we know that one person WITH JESUS is always in the majority. ;)

Blessings to you,
Ruth

Life Adapted said...

You gotta' love those Jamaican mothers. I guess they were more concerned about the cheese than other mothers.

Peace to you, Ruth.

:)De said...

I have been singing "the farmer in the dell" since I read you post. So tonight around the camp fire we sang it nice and loud and I thought of you. And no one stood alone!

Peace

Life Adapted said...

Awww - thanks :)De. I feel less alone alreay!

Be ever so blessed.