Sunday, June 13, 2010

Birthing vs. Kidney Stones

Birthing babies hurt. God told us it would. Darn that Eve. However, God created our bodies in such a way that our bodies could accommodate the process. He gave us nice wide hips (thank you God), intermittent contractions, hormones and a flexible birth canal. I'm not saying birthing babies doesn't hurt, I'm just saying that God warned us about it and He made our bodies with all the right parts to do it. Now on the other hand, kidney stones hurt. Our bodies were not made to pass a stone. The path that a stone takes is not one that our bodies were ever expected to allow. I have heard women say, "My husband passed a stone last night, you'd think he'd just given birth." Or, "I told him try birthing a 9 pound baby!" Well, I am here to tell you ladies, passing a stone is equal to or greater than giving birth. Have a little compassion for those men in your life. Can you imagine if while you were giving birth your husband said to you, "If you think that hurts try passing a kidney stone!" Having done both now, birthing and passing kidney stones, I will surely have more compassion for those around me suffering. But, please don't don't go complaining about a hang nail, I would have to say, "Toughen up cupcake!"

4 comments:

Parsley said...

Read this to my husband and we both laughed and appreciated your take on this.

Yes, like I said, I had heard it was worse but not having had a stone, I didn't know. I would NEVER make fun or try to compare one pain to the other and thank God I can't.

Hope you are on the mend. Still praying your back to 100% soon.

:)De said...

Ha Ha! I had my first kidney stone this spring. I have never given birth, but I gotta believe that the stone was worse than birth. I mean... at least after birth you get to take something cute home. My stone did not look cute in a bonnet and onsie!

Peace

Life Adapted said...

Thanks friends! I have been having a rough time. I had a severe allergic reaction to the meds and spent the night in a great deal of pain. I am on the mend now - Praise GOD!

I appreciate the humor. You just gotta keep laughing.

Be blessed.

Indian Lake Papa said...

So far no kidney stones or birthing - life is a "walk in the park" - yea, right!