Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Library Card

When the kids were little, going to the library was a big deal. We went every week. We were able to take out 10 books per library card. Using my card and my husband's card we were able to take out 20 books at a time. The kids LOVED getting books. In fact, they couldn't wait until they got their own card to take books out. I mean that literally, my oldest hid a book under her winter coat when she was 5. I noticed it when I tried to belt her in. I told my kids, "When you can write your name, without my help, on a straight line, you may get your own library card." My first born has 9 letters in her first name. She was 5 and a half when she got her card. My second born only has 7 letters in her first name. She was 5 and a half when she got her card. My son, he didn't care so much. He only has 5 letters in his name. He was 6 and a half when he got his card. Our library is a small town library and very frugal. Library cards are only replaced if they are lost, and then for fee . . . after interrogation. I'm not saying the Librarian is scary, just that my kids never lost their cards. My middle daughter is now 18 and went to take a college level test to be tested out of Natural Science so she can take Physics in college. When she arrived at testing they asked her for 2 forms of identification. All she had, other than her drivers license, was her library card that she signed almost 13 years ago. The card was graciously accepted and she passed the test and that is my story about The Library Card.

No comments: