Sunday, July 25, 2010

Not Funny

My kids have been retelling a story that I personally don't think is funny. However, since they are getting a kick out if I thought I would tell here. My kids were 8, 10 and 12 at the time. They all played sports, the girls were taking piano lessons, they all had play-dates. We went on homeschool trips, to the library, to Girls Scouts and Boys Club. We delivered Meals on Wheels and did a mother-daughter book club. Needless to say, we were in my car a lot. We carried many supplies in the car; soccer cleats and baseball equipment, chairs and blankets, crayons and pads, snacks and juice boxes, cassettes of children's music and CD's of Ella Fitzgerald, bug spray and sunscreen, Tylenol and Benadryl, inhalers and Epi-pens, tissues and sanitizer, etc. etc. etc. For all the driving around I did and all the packing and unpacking the car I did, all I ever asked the kids to do was pick up the garbage before they got out and ran into the house. Sheesh, you have thought I was asking them to detail the car with a toothbrush. This particular day I asked, sweetly, "Children, would you please pick up any garbage in your space and please throw it out for me?" This is how they responded, "It's not my mess," and "I didn't do it," and "That's not fair!" I had had it! I turned to them and yelled, "I don't care if little green martians came down from Mars and crapped in the car, YOU'RE CLEANING IT UP!" Now, is that so funny??

No comments: