Monday, February 25, 2008

Raising A Puppy

My blog would not be complete if I did not mention a temporary member of the family. We are raising a puppy for the Seeing Eye in Morristown. We've had our puppy for 15 months and the time is getting close to him being returned to Morristown for the next step in his training process. He's a great dog and if he fails the program it's because of us, not him. My son is the main puppy raiser and he's done a fantastic job with him. The puppy knows my son's voice and listens to him better than he listens to me (hey, somehow there must be a correlation between the kids not respecting my commands and the dog not respecting my commands. . .hmmm). I took the puppy to the post office and we kind of got kicked out and asked not to return until he's a full-fledged Seeing Eye dog. But in the puppy's defense the lady he just had to sniff really did smell like hot dogs and the floor in the post office is slippery and people should hold on to their packages better if they are fragile and that's all I'll say about it. Raising a puppy for the Seeing Eye has been a really great experience for our whole family, but especially for my son who has never failed to do the right thing when it comes to his puppy. But, if you come over for a visit, please don't sit back in the rocking chair, the puppy chewed off the rockers and you'll fall right over.

No comments: