Monday, February 25, 2008

Wait, Did I Say That Out Loud?

Did you ever have one of those moments when you thought, "I hope I didn't say that out loud?" An unkind thought or discouraging word or an angry outburst or even a first impression that later turned out to be false. Aren't you glad that every thought that pops into your head is not heard by others? So, this is my concern in this day of cell phones and text messages, email and instant messaging - instant communication with people with the touch of a key. How many emails or text messages have been sent with regret? I'm not worried for myself, because my husband and I share a cell phone and it isn't even capable of text messaging - my kids say it's worse than Maxwell Smart's shoe phone. When we pull it out and pull up the antenna, the kids cringe. We once tried to show them how annoying cell phone interruptions were and asked all our friends to call us on my husband's birthday. We set the ringer to play 'happy birthday' and put the volume up as high as it would go and then we went to the diner. My husband got quite a few calls and answered every one, very loudly. I asked them if they were embarrassed and they said they weren't embarrassed for themselves but were for my husband. Can you imagine, those dirty, rotten, annoying kids . . . wait, did I just say that out loud????

James 1:19 So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak. . . .

No comments: