Tuesday, August 11, 2009

On Sea Shells

Another metaphor - Do you ever wish you (when I say you, I mean me) could grow a sea shell around you to protect you from the elements and from the prowlers out there looking to devour you? But if we did grow a shell, it would likely be like this one that I found on the beach last week . . . very pretty and very photogenic (wink), but useless at protection because it's missing most of it's structure. However, if we (when I say we, I mean me), had the ability to grow outer shells, most of us (when I say us, I mean me) would and that would be bad. God created us to be in fellowship with each other. The kind of sea creature that lived in this shell didn't need fellowship and even though we sometimes think we don't need fellowship either, we do. Just sayin' that while I was walking alone on the beach, feeling content in the solitude, searching for sea "gems" I was wholly aware of the need for humans to be in healthy relationships and wholly grateful to God for His design. There were times that, if I could, I would have donned a shell, but how glad I am that I was not able to. God's designs are best and His plans are full of Grace. Halleluiah!

2 comments:

R.M. Jackson said...

Amen.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I've thought about living in a shell at times too.

A quote I read recently: "Friendship is not a luxury, a nice but expendable extra. For the Christian, it is a biblical necessity. - Elizabeth Cody Newenhuyse

Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Amen to your observations in nature. I must purpose to look around more:)