Saturday, August 15, 2009

On Turning 50

My favorite reaction to telling people I've turned 50 so far is . . . "SHUT-UP! You look fabulous!" Of course, this was from a very sweet 19 year old girl who must think 50 should look decrepit. She said that 50 is the new 30 and that she loves the way my hair is turning white (she says my hair isn't grey at all, just a few strands of pretty white that looks just fab on me). I would have hugged that sweet child, but we were in the super market and we had already made a bit of a scene when she yelled SHUT-UP. People were staring. This is why it's vitally important to make friends where ever you go. I met KC at the super market about a year ago when she left home to live with her fiance. Her parents didn't approve and she was really needing a "motherly" type to talk to. I genuinely like this girl and she appreciates my friendship. It's so easy for me not to judge her because she's not my daughter. And she loves my motherly advice because I'm not her mother. She just enrolled in college and downgraded her phone and cable services like I advised her and she beamed with delight when I was pleased. I must say, I too, beamed with delight at her reaction to my milestone birthday. Thanks KC :)

1 comment:

:)De said...

Happy, Happy, belated birthday!

Peace