Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A Homsechooling Story

When my kids were homeschooling and in 4th, 6th and 8th grade I wanted to teach them the 6 steps to the scientific method. I handled the first step which is ask a question. The other steps are:

- do background research
- construct a hypothesis
- test your hypothesis with an experiment (test until you get the same result at least 2 times)
- analyze your data and draw a conclusion
- report your results

I told them I would pose a question to them, give them the list of steps and then told them I would not interfere until they reported the results. When reporting the results they needed to supply a photo or an illustration of their experiment. They were pretty excited about the whole thing as I built it up before I posed the question. The end results were not disappointing. And the only one to suffer was the cat. Yes, poor Boz. The question was this: Is Boz, our beloved cat, left pawed or right pawed?

The results - 2 concluded he was left pawed, 1 was inconclusive.



5 comments:

Shanti said...

funny! what do you think--lefty or righty?

Life Adapted said...

Hi Shanti, lefty for sure! He was a real character, Boz. He's gone now, we had him for 17 & 1/2 years. The inconclusive was partly because Boz was unresponsive. He slept for like 18 hours a day! One experimenter placed treats on a string and pulled the treats along the floor. Boz used his left paw 3 times more than he used his right paw to grab his treat. After about a dozen attempts he went to sleep.

Be blessed!

Indian Lake Papa said...

I am left handed - I use my fork with my left hand. Funny, after about three forks full, I am ready for a nap. I like Boz!

Life Adapted said...

Come to think of it, you kinda' look like Boz! :)

Indian Lake Papa said...

Heh Heh!! Life is good LA - very good!!