Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Lesson Learned . . . The Hard Way, Part I

When my son was in the 8th grade and we were homeschooling we did a unit in health on the human body. We looked at all the body parts and systems and marveled at the miracle of life. We learned Psalm 139:13-14, "For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made." We talked about health and nutrition and how everything we need God has provided. We talked about how really fragile we are in that our body temperatures can only go up or down 6 degrees or else we would be facing death. We talked about Genesis 2:7 ". . .then the Lord God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature." We talked about how we can have all the parts of the human body, but never could we breathe life into it. We talked about our cat, Boz, who died after 17 years and no matter what we did, we could never breathe life back into him. We talked about viruses and bacteria and our immune system. We talked about how our bodies fight germs that invade it and how we are created to get rid of our waste. I really wanted to drive home to my son these valuable lessons and how we should be praising God everyday for our health. I prayed he would understand how great our God is. Well, an opportunity arose and he wasn't pleased . . .

4 comments:

Parsley said...

Uh oh...I feel a sick story coming on.

Life Adapted said...

Parsley, you inspired me to tell this story - does that give you a hint?

God is good!
Be blessed

R.M. Jackson said...

You just knew I was going to pop over from my Google Reader when you put that "Part 1" in the title now didn't ya?

Ok, you win... I'm here, and I'm waiting. ;)

Life Adapted said...

Hi Ruth, Nice to hear from you. I'll post the rest tomorrow. Sorry to make you wait. I hope you and yours are happy, safe and well.
Be blessed!