Monday, November 22, 2010

My Favorite Things - Part I

I sat down today at 4:00 to rest my back and I turned on the television. Oprah was doing her "Oprah's Favorite Things" show. I have to say, it made me feel a little bit sick inside when I saw the audience crying over an iPad touch computer, glitter Ugg boots and a Coach purse. I don't begrudge anyone of having favorite things, but an emotional attachment to a computer that would bring on tears? I don't know . . . it made me feel sick. I cried when my husband gave me a diamond tennis bracelet for our 25th wedding anniversary. And yes, I do love that thing. But I have an emotional attachment to it because my husband of 25 years gave it to me. If Oprah gave it to me, it would just be metal and stones. And honestly, as much as I love that bracelet, it wouldn't make the top 10 list of my favorite things. But it would certainly make the top 10 list of the most expensive things I own. What value would a diamond bracelet be to me if I didn't have the husband who gave it to me? Things are worthless. To quote The Little Prince, “It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.” And to quote Jesus, "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." The things I love the most, my favorite things, you just can't put into a package and tie a bow around . . . to be continued . . .

No comments: