Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My Favorite Things - Part II

. . . My favorite things are things that I hold in my heart, not my hands. Some of them are just feelings from memories of special events. Where do we hold our feelings? Science tells us we hold them in our brains, but I feel them in my heart, in the deepest part of me that cannot be touched by hands. In a spot that I can't pin point, but I know is there. It's a spot that Oprah cannot satisfy with iPads or expensive croissants. My favorite things are certainly things that glitter and shine, but in a way that fill my insides with warmth and love and joy. In all fairness to Oprah, her show was about her favorite material things and I do have some favorite material things, but would they make an audience full of people cry? I don't think so. Would a bunch of people cry over a blurry photo or an antique clock or a children's story book? I feel sad for the cheap thrill Oprah's show gave. I say cheap, not as in inexpensive, but as in no lasting value. I guess that's the part the bothered me the most. It was how thrilled everyone was over the material things that Oprah gave them. We are suppose to be gracious when we receive a gift, but to jump up and down and cry over a computer? How long do you think that thrill will last? An hour? A week? For the rest of my life I will remember my 42nd birthday at Yellowstone National Park along the trail that leads to the Upper Falls. I will always think of it when I smell pine. And, if I let myself, I will cry for the joy of the memory. That's one of my favorite things. My favorite other things are . . . to be continued . . .

No comments: