Thursday, November 4, 2010

Trolls

When my kids were little I made sure that they were exposed only to the nicest things. Good books, good toys, good movies and good people. Stories about puppies and ponies abounded. I never cursed and never let anyone around them curse. I screened everything that came into their little worlds and made sure that only the best entered their spheres. We watched Mary Poppins and Richard Scary. We sang Lullabies and Christmas songs. So imagine my surprise when my children asked me why people beep their horns when they go through tunnels and I responded in a feign scared voice, "It's to scare away the trolls." "W-w-what are trolls?" asked they. And again, much to my surprise, I said, "They are little mean creatures with runny eyes and boogers hanging from their noses. They drool and try to make you pay a toll when you go through the tunnel. If you don't pay the toll they don't let you go. That's why everyone beeps their horns, they hope to scare away the trolls. Should I beep my horn?" "B-B-BEEP MOMMY, BEEP YOUR HORN! HURRY!" they stammered and yelled. I don't know why, but when I think about it I don't even feel a little bad. In fact, it makes me laugh. :-D
Does that make me mean?

No comments: