Friday, November 19, 2010

The Photo Contest

I entered this photo in a local photo contest. It's my "Look Who's Eating My Parsley" photo. The contest is a small contest and the amateur division has a 1st Place, 2nd Place, 3rd Place and 2 Honorable Mention Prizes. With five winning spots I thought I had a chance, maybe an honorable mention. I had such positive feedback from my friends - but not my kids. They said, "Ewwww, Mom, it's gross." Did I heed their words? No. I only heard what my itching ears wanted to hear. So, I submitted my photo with confidence.

This photo, "Peaceful Autumn Path" was submitted by son in the student division. It's the fourth year he's submitted a photo for this contest. The first and second year he won 1st Place. The third year, 2nd Place and this year . . . he won 3rd Place. There is a cash award for each place. When the phone call came in, I anxiously waited to hear how my photo fared. She said, "Your son has won 3rd Place this year. It's always a pleasure to see his work. He has a great talent . . . blah, blah, blah . . . we'll send his prize voucher out today." What about me and my caterpillar photo? I looked up the winners on the website. No mention, not even honorable, of me or my photo. Boohoo. When the local paper came out and the contest winners were named I unenthusiastically looked for my son's name. Much to my surprise, while scanning the article I saw my name! Not only did I not win the contest (not even an honorable mention) but my name was listed in the paper among "other participants." In other words, losers. No honorable mention for me . . . just LOSER!

No comments: