Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Memory Survey

I have read that our earliest childhood memory is one that is either tragic or exciting. Mine was exciting. I was about 4 years old and I was with my Aunt Rachel. She took me for a bus ride up Bloomfield Avenue. I remember that she wore white fitted gloves with raised stitching. I held her hand. My next memory is holding my brand new baby brother. I must have been with Aunt Rachel for about a week while my mother was in the hospital. I remember it was sunny, but cold. I don't remember my 3 cousins or my uncle being there, but of course, they were. 35 years after this I went to visit Aunt Rachel in her home for the last time. She was dying of cancer and I was still breast feeding my youngest child. I went into her bedroom for privacy and this memory flashed in my head. In the years that have now past since this memory first occurred to me, I have remembered only a few more details.

So, tell me:

How far back can you remember? What is your earliest memory? How old were you? Do you consider it happy or tragic?

I will be away for a few days (a much needed respite with my family - yay!!). When I get back, I will post all your memories. Please feel free to encourage your friends to post their memories, too. Be blessed dear ones.......................

11 comments:

Robin said...

I have several early memories, but think its best not to share at least not on a blog.

I asked my eight year old daughter and she said...the birth of her baby brother was her earliest memory - she was 2 3/4. She remembered staying with my friend and coming to see me at the hospital and leaving when I had to stay. It was so hard because when my husband was taking her home he got twisted up in the hallways and kept walking in circles as my little girl cried her eyes out for her mama. One of the nurses asked how I was doing and said she could barely handle my daughter crying and that she was sure it was breaking my heart - It was...

:)De said...

My 2 earliest memories were happy ones... or at least not traumatic. When I was about 3 yrs old I was riding a tricycle and we had a small step from the walkway to the sidewalk in front of our home. I guess in my excitement of riding my bike, I drove right off that small step and kinda hung mid-air for a few seconds like a cartoon character. LOL My 2nd memory, was going to the big department store with my "Mama Lena" (paternal grandmother and said as 1 long word :) to purchase what turned out to be an original, just released Mrs. Beasley Doll. I was so happy and in love with that doll. I still have her.
:)De

Ruthie said...

Such a good memory.
That's what I'm doing on my blog when I'm posting my memories of growing up in China.

It's good to think back on the special times of childhood - and also to leave the memories for our children.

Smiles.

Indian Lake Papa said...

One of mine is "tragic". I did a post on my mother. I remember saying "good bye" to my mom when she was fighting TB! She recovered - but i did not do well with mommy gone for a couple of years.

Life Adapted said...

Robin, you are a classy lady. I thought (after I posted this) that it may make some folks uncomfortable with "bad" first memories, but you rose above yours and shared your daughter's. Does she have happy memories of that time (i.e., staying with your friend, a new baby, loving her mama so much) or does she just remember missing you?

Life Adapted said...

De, thanks for sharing. It made me laugh and smile when I read your stories. What a blessing that we have warm first memories.......

Life Adapted said...

Ruthie, thanks for sharing. I love reading the stories you post and again, I am happy we have warm memories to share........

Life Adapted said...

Papa - awwwwwwww. I wonder what makes certain memories "stick". Be blessed friend.

Robin said...

When I asked her what her first memories were she shared about her brother's birth and staying with my friend and having a wonderful time. She also remembered being sad when she had to leave me in the hospital, but the whole family was reunited the next day!

It was so funny when she came in to see me - I cried because I left my baby home to go have a baby and all the sudden she looked so old. The funny part was my husband picked out her outfit and it was frightening, but she didn't care and everyone excused her because they knew mommy didn't pick out her clothes.

I love my children so very much! I feel so blessed to make beautiful memories with them.

Life Adapted said...

I know just how you feel. It is such a joy to make happy memories with our children. My daughter asked me once if I lay awake at night coming up with ideas of things to do. "Yes, yes, I do!" I smiled.

Robin said...

How cool! You must be a fun mom!