Saturday, November 15, 2008

Good Mother?

So, I picked up my daughter from college and brought her home with 2 of her friends this weekend. I had these great plans of bringing them fresh baked goods for the car ride home and making home-made pizza for dinner when we got home. I planned on setting up clean towels with little decorated name tents and chocolate mints on their pillows. I planned to buy flavored coffees for their breakfast of homemade pancakes. I planned to vacuum the floors and dust the rooms and bleach the bathrooms and wash the front hallway and spray cinnamon spray all over the house for a beautifully scented atmosphere. But then on Wednesday my Bible study ladies stayed late, my husband went on a business trip, my other daughter was inducted into National Honor Society (way to go honey - but next time be more careful during the candle lighting ceremony), my son had basketball practice, I had a parent-teacher conference (shape up sonny boy), I helped a friend with her disabled husband, made dinner for a friend, took the kids to: youth group, the dentist, school, choir, the diner and the music store, went to a prayer meeting and talked to a friend in need for over an hour on the phone. So, I picked up my daughter and her friends, gave them granola bars for the ride home, stopped by the pizza parlor and shouted to my son to find the extra pillows when we walked into the house, that smelled like nothing at all, with dirty carpets and dull bathrooms. No chocolate mints and the coffee was just Maxwell House regular roast. . . .so, I asked my daughter if she felt like I was neglecting her because I didn't make her home-baked goodies or have a really clean house.

daughter: "Oh Mom, I don't need that, I'm not a baby. I know you love me. You are a great example to me of how we need to help others. God has called you to do these things."

me: *sniff-sniff* "But am I neglecting you??"

daughter: *smile* "nuh-uh."

me: *kiss* "Good. So, you can vacuum the downstairs and do the dishes. Sheesh, do I look like a maid or something.........................

3 comments:

Indian Lake Papa said...

WAy to go ----- mom !! I think I had a mother like that!

:)De said...

Your thoughtfulness shows the great deal of love that you have for your kids. Thanks for your comments. It is good to be reminded to live in the moment. I love that my children, with their varied backgrounds and nightmarish beginnings are now experiencing this life, surrounded by my whole family who love and indulge their little hearts. They are so happy and carefree this week and that it just warms my heart. Enjoy your weekend!

:)De

Robin said...

You are walking the walk and talking the talk! I want to be you :) You are an inspiration!