Thursday, May 20, 2010

Allowances

So, I was with a very nice group of ladies, having a very nice time . . . until, that is, they started talking about giving children allowances. I always shy away from those conversations because I am usually at odds with the majority. I understand the whole idea of teaching kids finance and responsibility with money. I understand the idea of teaching kids to make choices (Do I want a basketball or a baseball?). I even appreciate the idea of teaching kids to tithe. Some parents give allowances only after chores have been done (*cough* child labor). But I simply don't give my kids money each and every month just because they exist. My kids want for nothing. I'm not saying they're spoiled, but they're spoiled. I was sitting there minding my own business when someone said, "Well, you're very quiet. Do you give your children allowances?" "Yes," I said, "I give my children allowances." One of the moms chimed in, "No you don't! You told me you don't!" I said, "Oh, yes I do. I allow my children to live in my house rent free, I allow them to eat at my table for no charge, I allow them to store their possessions in my bedrooms for no fee and I even allow them to be driven in my car where ever they need to go without a fare. I think I give them a lot of allowances. Humph!" And that was the end of that.

13 comments:

Parsley said...

You can't see me but I'm standing up applauding!

Life Adapted said...

Thanks Parsley, I have never had a standing ovation before. I am bowing.

Be blessed.

:)De said...

and now there are 2 of us standing!! I give my kids the same allowances and my parents gave me the same. ha ha

Peace

R.M. Jackson said...

I'm hurrying to write this down before you decide to copyright your 'quotable quotes'. LOL!

No one does it better!

Blessings to you.

Life Adapted said...

Thank you friends, it's good to know of others who are in the minority with me.

Be blessed dear ones.

Anonymous said...

Well said my dear friend. I have recently been asked to give an allowance and my sentiments are like yours. My solution was to buy a lawnmower and assign it permanently to my son. It is a paid job so he gets the money he wants and and I get to control who he works for(me!) It has worked well thus far. But he's only 13......And....Thanks for always adding a bright spot with your blog.
Love and prayers,
J

Life Adapted said...

J, What a great idea - creative parenting at it's best! Btw, my daughter loved her sign. Do you want to help me make a more masculine sign for what looks will be our new son? He may be here as early as Thursdy.

Standing firm on God's Promises.

Shanti said...

i know what you mean. we just started giving our kids an allowance a few months ago. part of the reason is because i NEVER buy anything for them unless it's their bday. if they want a toy, too bad. j's bike tire popped about 4 months ago, and i told him he was going to need to save his money for a new one. it took him 4 LOOONNNGGG months since he would spend a few dollars of his $5 allowance each month, but he finally did it.
i could really go either way. good for you for standing your ground!

Life Adapted said...

Shanti, I think the reason why I get so defensive about our parenting decisions is because I would love to spoil my kids and give them everything they want, but the right thing to do is to teach them while they are young. It sounds to me like you are teaching your kids really well. Someday, they will thank us - or at least that's what I keep telling myself :)

Be blessed!

Kathryn said...

I'm SOOO there with you! My kids are 14 and 17 and only for a short time did they get an allowance...their Dad believed more strongly in it than I ever did, and I just didn't want to bother with it. He quickly forgot too many times, and the kids eventually stopped asking. Here's my thinking... They get what they need when they need it...and we are as generous as we can be. We've taught them to be grateful for what we do give them....even a little "Thanks Mom" for the Mc Donalds nuggets is enough for me to know that they are aware of how the money is being spent on them.

Indian Lake Papa said...

I got an "allowance" or "pay" of $2.50 a week growing up. I was a "paid farm hand" at the age of 10! :) I was able to buy a horse and new saddle in a few years. My brother did the same, he was younger but got his horse earlier - I was a lousy saver!

Life Adapted said...

Kathryn, I agree! A little appreciation goes a long way. Thanks for commenting :)

Papa, Why is it that I am not surprised that it took you longer to save for your horse??!! What did you spend your money on?

Be blessed dear ones.

Indian Lake Papa said...

LA - I have no idea, probably spent it on junk or candy. LOL Mama runs the finances here!!