Saturday, May 15, 2010

On Towels and Feet

Some weeks I feel old. This is one of them. Yesterday, after my shower, I grabbed a towel that is almost as old as I am. The towel is frayed at the ends (I smell an analogy). I had my left foot in the tub and my right foot stepping over the tub. My right foot got caught in the frayed end of the towel. Lucky for me I am still spry for my age. I dropped the towel and caught myself. I dried off and wrapped my hair in the towel. I stood in front of the mirror and saw two white threads sticking out of the frayed ends of the towel. I grabbed each thread to pull off the culprits. OUCH!! It turns out that without my glasses on I didn't realize that those two long white threads were actually two errant grey hairs on my head that refused to behave like the rest of my hair that was neatly tucked into the towel. Today, I went to my son's baseball game with two very pretty earrings on. Unfortunately, they didn't match each other. I thought I would garden after the game, barefoot, because that always makes me feel young. Walking backwards, I dragged a 40 pound bag of mulch to the backyard, but not before tripping over the Quoits board, falling back and damaging my foot and ankle. I used to have pretty feet. Not so much anymore. My husband says he wants to throw those old towels away. I say, "Nuh-uh, I may be frayed at the ends, but you're not getting rid of me." He says, "I wouldn't dream of it dear." I'm starting to feel younger. . .

No comments: