Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Rattling Heaven's Gates

I have this funky friend who's always saying funny things about me. She's always kind and usually insightful. Seeing myself through her eyes is always a hoot. We met under a stressful situation that required a great deal of patience and perseverance, neither of which I possessed, so I was in prayer a lot. My friend saw the best of me and the worst of me. Her memory of that time is thankfully different than mine. She seems to have forgotten my impatience but does remember me as "a bull dog, no a pit bull" that fought for some one's life. She remembers that I leaned heavily on God, referring often to this verse: "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6. Just recently she had asked me for advice regarding someone very special to her. I put in my 2 cents and committed it prayer. Today my friend called and I asked her about the situation. She happily reported great progress. I said, "I am so pleased, I had been praying hard." She said, (and I love this) "I just knew that you, my dear friend, was praying because I saw results very quickly. You don't give up, you just rattle the gates of Heaven until God hears you." That image of me rattling Heaven's gate, shouting prayers at God, is now stuck in my head. The only thing is, that I picture myself as a dog. . .

2 comments:

Parsley said...

A pit bull, prayer partner. Sounds perfect to me. In fact, could you bark that way again so I can have some wisdom for a certain situation? Right now I'm feeling a bit like a Chihuahua.

Robin said...

I love it! Rattle on...