Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Broken Bone Zone

My friend across the street used to work from home. He had an office in the front of his house which gave him a keen view of my front yard and parts of the back yard. He called me one day and said, "M, (that's what he calls me) I love watching your son play. He's a real boy, a boy's boy, a rough and tumble kid who loves dirt and tools (insert Tim The Tool Man grunt). I can see him playing outside sawing and building and climbing and getting dirty. You're a good mom, M. You let him experience the outdoors like a boy should. I really like that kid of yours. Keep up the good work."

I said, "O, (that's what I call him) I kinda' gotta' run. My son's arm is twisted in a funny sort of way. The ladder he built this morning was slippery from the rain and he fell off it. But, hey, thanks for the call."

With some wood, some nails and some paint, my son, with one arm in a cast, made a sign for our front yard. O could see it from his office window. It read, "Broken Bone Zone"

1 comment:

Robin said...

Great story - love the irony, but boys will be boys...

The night before Thanksgiving, my son watched a SAFETY DVD with cartoon charcter space aliens in it that we got from the library. I think he was 3 years old then. Well... I left him upstairs for a few minutes while I went to the basement to get a package of butter from the freezer (you know baking, baking...) when I hear a blood curdling scream... He comes down stairs crying telling me he was hurt. I looked at him and couldn't find what the problem was and just tried to calm him down. A little later he explains that he was pretending to be a space alien like in the safety DVD and took our broken bathroom towel rod and put it in his mouth as he ran across the room. I then decided to check out inside his mouth and found out that he actually punctured the roof of his mouth with the rod. I had no car at the time because my husband was at work so began the calls to find a ride to urgent care 35 minutes away... Fortunately he didn't need stitches because the wound was only on two sides, but he did need a round of antibiotics...

I went to the library to warn them about the safety movie shortly after...

When do you leave for your vacation?

I'm having blogger troubles with my Memorize This Scripture blog - last night I tried to change the template and lost my Nav Bar and some other things... oh joy...