Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Rest Of The Story - Part II

"Pop-Pop, are you okay? Can I get you something?"
"I miss my wife."
"Let's invite her over."
"Sure." *smiles*

"Mom, would you like to come over?"
"No."
"Dad misses you."
"Then he can come back."
"To your apartment?"
"No, to the nursing home."
"He doesn't belong in a nursing home. We'll help you. We'll hire someone to help you. We'll do whatever it takes. You can come here. You can be together here. There are options. We can all work together." *pleading*
"No."
"Why???!!!"
No response.

Pop-Pop is crying. He says he's in a dilemma. "What dilemma?" I ask, "you're here, you're happy, you're healthy, you're thriving."
"I love it here. You guys are perfect. This sure is something. I'll never forget it, never, never. . . but I miss my wife. She won't come here - ever - and she won't take me back to the apartment. So I'm going back." *crying*
"TO THE NURSING HOME???"
"Yes."
"I didn't think you were crazy before, but I sure do now! You're nuts!"
"I'm sorry. Jeez, 56 years of marriage and she won't come. I thought she would come. Jeez, you guys are perfect. Really. It's a dilemma. I'm sorry."

Our hearts are broken. Pop-Pop will sacrifice his freedom, his life, for his wife. A wife who doesn't care. I didn't think I could find the words to describe how I felt - but I have words alright - unkind words, bad words. . . *crying*. . . . .to be continued . . . . . .

3 comments:

Robin said...

I'm so sorry it has turned out like this... praying for you all!

Indian Lake Papa said...

I am not liking this story - why are we so eager to have our selfish ways and hurt others ?? Maybe I am missing the point - but i am so thankful that as my aging process is taking its toll I have mama - and family.

Life Adapted said...

Robin, Thanks for your prayers, we could really use them. There is much sadness in our home.

Papa, you are blessed with special loved ones - tell them all you are thankful for each and every one of them.