Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Coconuts

When my kids were younger we had this cat - Coconuts. He was a wild stray that was hanging around our house, scrounging through our garbage, peeing on our house (that's what un-neutered males do - male cats, that is). So I trapped him, sent him to the vet, had him neutered, and released him back in our neighborhood. I left food out for him everyday, and during the winter, we made an outdoor hut for him on our front porch. It took three seasons before we could approach Coconuts (named before he was neutered - sorry, it's the truth). When he finally let us pet him, we coaxed him into our house. He found it to be lovely and decided he would stay. He was a good pet. He purred loudly, never scratched the furniture, preferred the great outdoors to the litter box (a small, but appreciated blessing), loved the children and got along great with the 3 other cats in our home. Then one day he developed a tumor which grew in size daily. We knew he would need to have it removed. We prepared the children by telling them that he would be shaved and have an exposed wound that would look gross. We said that even though he would look horrible they needed to love and care for him. He was a good cat and deserved our love and respect. He would have ugly stitches and shaved cats were not very pretty. When I left to pick him up I reminded the children that no matter how he looked, they needed to love him. I walked through the door with Coconuts in his carrier and the children gathered around with wide-eyed terror . . . only to see a 4 inch square of fur gone and 14 neat stitches. "Gee Mom, I thought he'd look worse than that!!" they said in disappointment. So, when I tell them that they will need to help care for Pop-Pop and love him, no matter what, is it any wonder they ignore me?

11 comments:

:)De said...

Cute post! When is Pop-Pop coming? How does he feel about moving in? I know he will be in good hands.
Peace,
:)De

Life Adapted said...

:)De, he comes on Sunday and he's looking forward to coming. I hope and pray he thrives here. Thanks for caring and showing me your support - it means more than you can know right now. Be blessed

Robin said...

You are great with animals and people!

Indian Lake Papa said...

I am getting old - have you another room? Can i bring mama? I do shake a little - but don't tell the kids - you would probably make a wild story out of it! lol

Life Adapted said...

You crack me up Papa. Do you know you are like the 5th person that has me if they can come, too? I think I'll form a list. But I'll put you and Mama at the top - just don't tell anyone.

Robin said...

Hey even though I'm still considered a "kid" at least in my own eyes... I want to come too :) Sounds like a great place!

Life Adapted said...

Okay Robin, I'm adding you to the list, right behind Papa and Mama. How many in your family - 4 and 3/4? - do you have any pets? Since the early 70's I always wanted to live in a commune. :)

Robin said...

No pets here. Family of 5 come December. I don't know if you are kidding or not, but I've actually thought it would be neat to live in a commune - as long as it was the right mix of people...

The down side I guess is it limits are contact with the outside world... But you could say that about homeschooling too and my kids are anything, but antisocial. They make friends everywhere we go - so I guess living in a commune would be similar because you still have to go out in the world :)

Life Adapted said...

Robin, commune living has always been a lure - you know, separating from the craziness of the world. But you are right, it must be the right mix of people - like minded, hard working folks. . .

About the whole anit-socail homeschooling thing - an older gentleman once told me that schools are anti-social because everytime he tried to socialize in school he got sent to the principal's office. I think my kids are comfortable with others because of homeschooling, not in spite of it.

Btw, 5 may be a little cramped in Pop-Pop's room. But you are on the list ;)

Robin said...

You are right about the hard workers needed in the commune... It would be a pain in the neck if not for the hard workers.

As for five in the family... maybe they all won't won't want to come - my daughter has ambitions for the White House (has for years). I keep trying to talk her out it. Of course she has a bunch of other ambitions too. But with all the politics going now...she is very interested. She also wants to be a missionary and a librarian and she wants to homeschool her kids. I guess we will have to wait and see...

Great comment about socialization too!

Life Adapted said...

Robin, maybe your daughter will be the first female president who homeschools her children - wouldn't that go down in the history books! It's so great your daughter has so many ambitions, it means you are doing a great job.

Be blessed today.