Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Day The Angels Helped - Part I

Background: We met this sweet old man at a local fast food chain where we would often go for coffee and milkshakes with the kids. The place was clean and had an outdoor play area that was hosed down weekly. It was a great get-away from the office for my husband and a great get-away for me from the house. I loved going there right after I cleaned my house . . . knowing the house would stay clean for at least as long as the kids weren't there. This is where we met Nick. He and my husband became friends first, then our family embraced the friendship. Nick lost his wife and so began spending some of his time with us - going to dinner or coming over for dinner.

One day, Nick wasn't answering his phone and stopped showing up at BK. It took us quite some time to track him down. He had fallen and broken his hip and was in rehabilitation. We went to visit and it was there that he told us The Board of Health would be condemning his house. As it turns out, Nick's wife was the housekeeper. His house had not been cleaned since she got sick and died. He would have to go to an assisted living home and lose his house. "How bad can it be?" I blurted out, "we'll clean it for you! We won't let you lose your house, Nick. Really, sheesh, how bad can it be??????" . . .

2 comments:

:)De said...

I love these kind of post. You are such a great story teller...can't wait.

Peace

Life Adapted said...

Oh, I hope I don't disappoint you. . .
Peace back at ya.