Saturday, May 30, 2009

Fake

Here is a blog that I didn't post when it was written. I wrote it because something happened after Easter that was unpleasant - I felt like people were being less than authentic. I had forgotten about it and just saw it in my draft file. It's not my best work, for sure, but here it is.

We had a very nice Easter. A diverse group of friends gathered around our table and along with the food, we shared pieces of our heart with each other. I was touched by the "realness" of it all. It wasn't "Norman Rockwell" and all, not even close actually. But it was good. We have this little tradition where we type out some questions and everyone needs to answer them the best they can. One question was, "What is the best gift you ever received?" I loved the responses - concert tickets, hand-made dice, a trip, eternal life, freedom, a generator (the generator supplied much needed heat to an ailing body) and the gift to eat large amounts of food and not gain weight (like only a 14 year old boy can do). There were no good or bad answers, no right or wrong, no pretty or ugly, no labels at all - just real answers. Some answers were funny, some serious, but that was up to the author. It was real and I like that. I like real . . . you would think finding real would be easy . . . but it's not. In fact, finding fake is much easier. . .

Hmm, bitter much?

2 comments:

R.M. Jackson said...

No, not bitter at all... just REAL! ;)

Life Adapted said...

Gotta' love that comment :)

Thanks Ruth, be ever so blessed.