Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Love 17

This post is for daughter number 2 who turns 17 today.

Honey, even with all it's drama, 17 is the best age to be. I know, I tell you this every year, but I really mean it, 17 is the best age to be. It's the most real you'll ever be. Everything that happens feels important and big and epic. And it is. You'll remember everything from this year, the music, driving, school, friends (girl and boy), the summer job and decisions you make. At 17 you are old enough to make independent decisions but young enough so you don't have to. You can ask me what I think is best, but do what you think is best. 17 is scary and that's part of the charm. 17 is awkward and that's part of the growth. 17 is a year after the "sweet" and that's what makes it spicy (in a good way). Live 17 authentically. Love 17, love you, love life. I'm so excited for you. I loved you before you were born and every single moment since that day 17 years ago. My heart explodes with pride and joy and love and anticipation as I watch you grow. I don't know what God has in store for you, but I know that He has something enchanting planned. I can't say it enough, love 17 while you are 17. Don't worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Enjoy each day with all its drama. Remember all the lessons you were taught, be kind, be polite, be gentle and be generous. Remember to keep balance and boundaries and practice manners and meekness. Remember to keep your eyes on Jesus. Remember how loved you are. And remember to love 17. . .

3 comments:

R.M. Jackson said...

Happy Birthday to Daughter #2! :D

And here I was thinking that 35 was the best age to be! Ah well... to each his own. ;)

Life Adapted said...

I loved 35! Wait, do I remember that far back - jk - from 35 to 49 is just a flash.

I'll tell my daughter you say Happy Birthday - thanks

Be blessed

Robin said...

Beautiful post!

Happy Birthday to your daughter!

Yes, 17 was monumental!