Sunday, May 24, 2009

Welcome


This pretty spot is in my front yard. Since this picture has been taken flowers have bloomed and others have been planted. It's a small (or as I like to say, intimate) spot with five chairs. At any given time of the day you can find a seat that is in the sun or in the shade, whichever you prefer. From here, there is a nice view of the neighborhood and the hills in the distance. I sweep it almost everyday and add potted plants and flowers regularly. When I sit out here I usually end up with a visitor. It may be an unexpected visit from a neighbor or a spontaneous family gathering (hence the five chairs). My ladies Bible study decided it was lovely and we had our study here. So far this Spring I've had over a dozen drop-in visitors. Here, discussions have ranged in topics from politics to prom to parenting to puppies to pride and a whole slew of topics from other letters in the alphabet. I love it when I go out here to read a book and then I look up to see my children or my husband have come to join me. I sat out here in a light rain storm yesterday with a friend I hadn't seen for a month. We got wet, but barely noticed for we were so busy chatting. There has been much laughter and joy in this spot. It's by no means a beautiful spot, in fact, the concrete is cracked and discolored, and the columns are stained from years of weathering, and one chair is missing a screw (no comments please). But, I really love this spot and tend to it daily. I love that people come and know they are welcome and that all I can see is the beauty . . .

No comments: