Monday, October 19, 2009

The Ladies Retreat

My oldest daughter invited me to a ladies retreat with her. I was just a tiny bit thrilled :) While she has been away at college she found a small church that she loves. I had been wanting to meet these folks to thank them for being so kind to my daughter. This retreat would be the perfect opportunity for me to thank the ladies in-person for their love and kindness. The retreat title was "Winning The Battle Of The Bulge - It's Not Just About The Weight." I gave the title very little thought - winning battles is a great theme considering we fight so many of them each day, if not with the kids, the dog, the vacuum cleaner, the seat belt (don't ask), it's with the unseen spiritual battles that are ever present. I wanted to spend some time with my daughter in a beautiful setting in the Poconos learning how to fight spiritual battles. I bought a new outfit at Christopher & Banks (I wanted the ladies to like me) and I baked something very special for us to bring (I wanted the ladies to like me - did I mention that already?). My daughter called me the day before we were to leave and said she was sick and didn't think she could go. Fast forward - we were able to go just for Saturday night's dinner and the evening session with the guest speaker. To my surprise the theme really was about weight. . . a diet plan to help fight the battles that cause women to gain weight. Guess what that special thing was that I baked and arrived with on Saturday night . . . a chocolate chip, cream cheese cake with thick, home-made chocolate icing. Yes, folks, I walked into a room filled with ladies that were trying to win the battle of the bulge with a cake. . . oops. . . do you suppose they liked me?

9 comments:

Parsley said...

How nice you were invited by your daughter! Too funny about the theme and the cake! I'd LOVE the cake and you for bringing it. Where's the recipe?!

Hey, I thought of you last week. I cleaned my front windows!!!!

Life Adapted said...

Hi Parsley, that's twice in 2 days I've been asked for a recipe! I'll post it to your comments in your blog later today. I love when people tell me, I thought of you when I cleaned my windows or while I was vacuuming - I don't care when or why people think of me, I just like that they think of me at all : )

Be blessed dear one!

R.M. Jackson said...

Forget the recipe... I want the cake!

Bulge or no bulge, I'm sure they enjoyed the cake though. I certainly would have. :D

Seriously, I'm still trying to figure out the theme... I thought it was NOT about the weight. LOL!

Life Adapted said...

Ruth - LOL! You see, it's not "Just" about the weight. The idea is to battle the bulge by winning victory over the spiritual battles that we face because so much of our over-eating is trying to satisfy a deeper hunger. For me, it's all about balance - having your cake and eating it to - see - cake on both sides :)

Be blessed dear one!

R.M. Jackson said...

Ahhh! My cake-loving, aerobics-shirking self failed to see the "just". Oh dear!

Thanks for drawing my attention to it. LOL!

Now, how about sending me one of those lovely cakes? ;)

Indian Lake Papa said...

How come you didn't bring the cake when we had lunch?? - I still like you!

R.M. Jackson said...

I nominated you for a Kreativ Blogger Award! Please pop by to pick it up when you can... Love ya!

Here's the link... AWARD

Life Adapted said...

Papa - that's always the way it is with me - never arriving at the right place with the right item. My husband says if it weren't bad time, I'd have no timing at all. I should have brought you a cake - next time, I promise. Glad you like me anyway :)

Be blessed

Life Adapted said...

Ruth - awwwwwww, that's so sweet. I'll check it out :)
Love you, too!
Be blessed today!