Thursday, October 1, 2009

Finance To Second Graders?

My husband volunteered (got drafted) to teach a four hour class on finance to second graders for Junior Achievement. They needed more volunteers (draftees) so he asked me if I would teach it with him. Since I'm in favor of juniors achieving, I said yes. Junior Achievement sent us a packet of information to present to the second graders. It was . . . clunky (for the lack of a better word) and . . . (the better me won't say). So, I called my daughter at college, she loves second graders, and we wrote a really fun program using the concepts Junior Achievement wanted us to present (tanky, honey). Using stories and illustrations and activities and brainstorming and some really solid Biblical principles (without mentioning God because we were in a public school), we taught a great class today. My husband is a big, virile guy who goes into prisons to teach the word of God. He has been a coach to kids ranging in ages 5 - 15. He's not afraid of the dark and he's not afraid of my mother. So, it was kinda' cute that he was afraid of 25 second graders today. He got over that pretty quickly and it was fun for the students and fun for us. At the end of our presentation the teacher asked the kids what two important words they want to say. 24 of the 25 kids sang out, in unison, "Thank you," while one lone kid said, "I'm sorry." What a hoot - I wonder what he's been up to lately. . .

4 comments:

Your Mother said...

You really deflated my ego this morning. For 25 years I thought your husband was a little afraid of me. Oh well, I'll have to try harder now.

Life Adapted said...

Don't worry mom, I'm still a little afraid of you :)

Indian Lake Papa said...

Good morning! What a blessed time we had yesterday! Thank you! We are safe and sound in CT! Write more later.

Life Adapted said...

No, thank you! Love ya.