Thursday, July 24, 2008

I'm Begging Your Pardon

I have just been on a wild adventure. It was exhausting and exhilarating and intense. I was at it for about 4 hours yesterday and nearly 3 hours the day before. I couldn't do it alone so I took along a dear friend of mine (Thanks L). The stamina, the staying power just to get through has depleted me of all energy. You must be curious as to what we've been up to ..........
I booked my family on a 12 day trip to the northwest using Frequent Flyer miles!! You would think I was asking the airlines to give me a private plane! I needed our card numbers and our pin numbers, I needed to find a flight that had flyer mile seats available (it seems I was able to get us to a destination, but not get us back), then I had to hold the reservation, call a different number to "divide out" mileage, call back to make the reservation a ticket - but guess what? one member of our family didn't have enough mileage, so I needed to transfer mileage and guess what? that cost me $165.00. Then somehow in the 1 hour and 15 minutes that it took me to transfer mileage, the airfare went up and so did the amount of miles needed to get a "free" flight (it cost $30.00 per person to get your free flight). Now I had to pay for one ticket and only get 4 free tickets. After all was said and done, I sat back and excitedly said to my husband, "We're booked for a 12 day trip to Yellowstone National Park and it cost us less than $700.00 to get there!" He said, "Great, do we have good seats?" "WHAT? I DON'T THINK I GOT US SEAT ASSIGNMENTS YET?" This is the short version of my conversations with the airline's satellite office in India.
Airline: "gibberish."
Me: "Are you speaking English?"
Airline: "Si"
Me: click
Airline: (with heavy accent) "My name is Natalie and here I am to help you."
Me: (soft prayer to self) "I need seat assignments for my trip. I have 5 confirmation numbers and I'd like us to sit all together."
Natalie: "We have 23 A,B,C,E & F"
Me: "What happen to D?"
Natalie: "I'm begging your pardon."
Me: "Never mind. How many rows are on the plane?"
Natalie: "23."
Me: "I don't want to be in the last row next to the bathroom and in seats that can't move back."
Natalie: "I can give you 18E and F, 19 A and B and 21 F."
Me: "Are these window, middle or isle seats?:
Natalie: "Yes."
Me: "I'm begging your pardon? I mean, I'll just go online and see if I can do better myself."
Natalie: "I am happy today that I am here to help you and if you need anymore service I am happy to help you again. Have a nice day and thank you for calling me."

I'm so tired - it's a good thing I have a few weeks to recover before our trip...............

3 comments:

Robin said...

Sounds like a frustrating experience to say the least...

I hope you have an amazing time!

:)De said...

Don't 'cha just love those call centers?!?!?
:)De

Life Adapted said...

It will all be worth it when I dip my toes in the Fire Hole River or dangle my fingers in the Snake River. Our favorite, eating chocolate chip cookies and viewing Old Faithful from a perch about a mile up. :)