Sunday, July 6, 2008

Texting - Part III

Texting is antisocial. There, I said it. I am not buying the argument that (please read this with a high pitched whine in your voice for the full effect), "I talk to more people now than ever before because it's easier to text someone than it is to call them." Ha - that proves my point!! If you don't have enough social skills to talk to someone in person or over the phone you aren't going to learn any social skills by texting someone. Social skills are a learned behavior that takes self confidence and a certain amount of poise which you cannot learn while texting. Social skills are to be practiced in a variety of situations. Texting friends is not really being social. Yes, it's communication, but on a very primitive level. It requires no finesse (and apparently no spelling or grammar either). Half the fun of interacting with someone is . . . well . . . interacting. Maybe if our teens learn better social skills they will find a spouse and leave home sooner (jk). All I'm saying is that teens are way to connected to their cell phones and this does not mean they are being social. It is really the opposite, they talk less in person and have become less comfortable talking to their peeps in person, opting instead to text each other. This is the end of my tirade, if you don't like it, send me a text - I'm not comfortable with confrontations.

9 comments:

Indian Lake Papa said...

I can't text - so see me in person - I'd rather deal with you face to face! lol

Robin said...

You are so funny! I always enjoy your posts... So when are you writing your book? You so need to - you have much to share!

Life Adapted said...

Hi Papa, maybe some day we'll meet and we can talk face to face - I'd like that.

Robin, well, that's about the nicest thing anyone has said to me in a while. Thanks for reading my rants. Hope you and baby are well.

Be blessed.

Robin said...

Me and baby are doing well - lots of jumping around going on in there. I'm helping with registration for VBS this week - tired...

My big sonogram is on July 16.

My husband leaves for Alaska Short term missions trip on July 19 and returns on July 29.

Life Adapted said...

Oh my, there is a lot going on with you, baby, hubby and church. Wish I could help out with your other 2 children while your husband is in Alaska. What will he be doing? Is their time of very long day light there?

Praying all shows well on the 16th

Gotta run. Be blessed.

Robin said...

Yes, he will be in Alaska during their massive daylight time.

I'd love for you to come visit then too - isn't that crazy that I could feel such friendship with a person I've never met...but if we don't meet here in the shadowlands then we'll meet at home, the place we were created for... (taken from Randy Alcorn's thoughts that are now mine too)

Life Adapted said...

Hi Robin, I feel the same way, too. If you want, send me your email address (I won't publish it) and we can talk more directly.

I am praying for your family.
Be blessed.

Robin said...

I read this today and thought of your post...

http://health.yahoo.com/news/ap/med_oblivious_texters.html

Life Adapted said...

Hi Robin, I like getting confirmation that my thoughts (rants) have validity. Thanks for sending this to me. Be blessed.