Tuesday, October 14, 2008

No Rejects Here


Here is a picture of the puppy my son raised for 18 months for the Seeing Eye. This is him on his "town walk" with his trainer. We got to watch our puppy (from 20 feet away) while he navigated busy city streets, guiding his trainer with confidence and poise. It was amazing to see this goofy puppy, who we nick-named Reject, ready to do what he was born to do. His parents, grandparents, great-grandparents (and so on) were all Seeing Eye dogs. He comes from a long line of servants to the blind. My son did a fantastic job raising him and training him. He followed all the rules and went to all the meetings. He took his puppy to church and to ball games. He gave his time to teach him all he needed to know. And, now, there is success. The puppy may be matched as soon as next week with a blind person. I'm so proud of my son and the puppy. What an example they are to me. I, too, have a great lineage. I, too, can learn by following the rules. And I, too can have success. God is my ultimate Trainer. And even though most people would call me goofy and nick-name me Reject, there is still hope for me.

2 comments:

Robin said...

I'd never call you Reject! You are an incredible person with many talents and you are open to learning from God!!

You should be so proud of your son - what a great thing he has done for the community and especially the one who will receive this special dog!

My daughter was excited as she read this post with me because not too long ago she read a book about the training of seeing eye dogs.

Life Adapted said...

Thanks Robin, it really was a wonderful experience. Do I see a Seeing Eye puppy in your future???

You're a good friend, thanks.
Be Blessed.