Sunday, October 5, 2008

Teaching Moments

I'm a mom, a mom of teenagers. Time is short. I feel almost breathless thinking of how much I want to teach my children before they leave home. Did I teach them enough? Did my husband and I prepare them enough to go out into the world?? Will they know all they need to know??? So, is it any wonder I try to use every moment as a teaching moment? This is a typical conversation with my teenagers.

"Honey, if you wash your fork as soon as you are done eating, things won't pile up in the sink and really, it saves time because when you have a sink full of things it actually takes longer to wash everything up."
"Mom, in case you haven't noticed, I am still eating!! Do you not see the food still on my plate?"
"I know, honey, but I just wanted to use this moment as a teaching moment, while you were still sitting still."
"You mean, you wanted to ruin my peaceful meal?"
"No, I mean I wanted to teach you so that when you leave home you won't live like a slob."
"I was going to wash my fork and plate when I was done. But now I don't want to because you told me to."
"See, total rebellion. Is that what I can expect from you?"
"Yes, Mom, I am going to leave my dirty fork on the table, rebel against your rules and run out and try illegal drugs."
"I'm not amused."
"Mom, can I have some water?"
"No, all the glasses are dirty."

9 comments:

:)De said...

My teen often talks about how he is going to live in his own house and have nice things and a clean home. I tell him that I can't wait for the day when I go over to his home, break something of his, eat cereal from a mixing bowl, and then leave 3 TBS of milk in the container in the fridge! LOL

Peace,
:)De

Life Adapted said...

:)De, I love your comments!! LOL I tell my kids I'm going to go to their homes and walk on their furniture with high heels on. My son said to tell him first so he can set up the video camera! I'll be sure to leave 3 Tbs of milk in the container, too!

Anonymous said...

your daughter... I believe that I speak a bit more eloquently than that. You have misrepresented me.

Life Adapted said...

It seems I am misrepresenting stuff left and right. See, I do need proofreaders! Even though you kids find me useless, I still find you usefull. Peace out.

Robin said...

Life Adapted and De - I'm so ready for doing the stuff my kids do here at their houses when they grow up and they are 8 and 5 - haha. I can't wait to go jump on their beds and stand in their refrig for 5 minutes just looking and hold the door open for no apparent reason to let the indoor temperature match the outdoor temp and I'm not going to do it in spring or fall... oh maybe I will during a rain storm...

Just kidding I think...

I know they will understand one day when they have kids of their own that our rules aren't just things we do to make life miserable for them.

I remember as a kid telling me dad that he needed to turn the heat up because I was cold. He told me that I needed to put on more clothes - and here I thought wearing coat and gloves in the house was enough clothes - haha just kidding.

Now I have become my father keeping the heat lower than most in the winter and the AC higher than most in the summer (except we didn't have AC as a kid - he actually just got it recently). My dad now tells me that I'm crazy to keep my heat on the lower side (not freezing or anything) and that I should just be comfortable. I get confused and wonder who I'm talking to and what he did with my father.

Life Adapted said...

Robin, don't you just love when you act like your parents and they turn around and say, "What are you doing that for?" I just hope my kids will give me their address so I can visit - you know they may just leave without telling us where they are going. JK

Be blessed today.

:)De said...

LOL I Keep my heat at 68 and my parents tell me that I am freezing their poor little grandkids to death. I look at them with surprise and ask them often, "Who are you people and what have you done with my father who was so cheap that after friends toilet-papered his car, he re-rolled the TP and said we would not waste that perfectly good TP"

Robin said...

Life Adapted - Yes, it blows me away that now that I've become my father he has become someone else??? What's up with that?

Everyone says I look just like my dad too minus the beard. I think I posted some wedding pictures on my blog and there is one of me and my dad - let me find the link...

http://actionsspeakloudest.blogspot.com/search?q=anniversary

I was just reading back through the comments and you saw that post before... The picture of me and my dad is the first one - I have a better picture and I will link to it also...

Ok...can't find it easily... I will just email the pic of me and my dad - so you can see how similar we look.

Life Adapted said...

Robin, I love looking at pictures and I do remember seeing that wedding picture and noticing the family resemblence. Just don't ever grow a beard :)

I better be careful what I say because my mom reads my blogs - I love you mommy :)