Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Academy of Love

So, for the past 4 years I have been asked to speak at the local college about homeschooling. The class I am speaking to is made up of the folks who are currently in or wish to be in leadership positions in the community. The day long class is to educate these folks in the educational system in our community. Last year, the line up of speakers was as follows: Head Master at **** Academy, The Superintendent of the Regional High School, the NJ Commissioner of Education, The Dean of the Community College, The Superintendent of the Elementary Schools and me. I feel wholly inadequate to speak. Each year I am convinced that I will not be asked to return and each year I am asked to speak again. So, when Mr. Gully called me and asked me to speak this year, I said, "Are you sure you want me?" He said, "Yes, please come at 1:00." I asked, "Am I giving the right kind of information?" He paused and then said with sincerity, "I like your speech best." I was wholly surprised and asked why. And he said, "Simply because I like the way you talk about your children. You really love them." Well. . . . I guess I do............

5 comments:

Indian Lake Papa said...

Loving children is what its all about!! I hope you read my post about "Children are worthless" - we need to care more. WHAT zoo would you like to meet at? Ever get to Michigan? What about Hartford, CT ? Any zoo there?

Anonymous said...

You should believe in your abilities to speak as much as Mr. Gully and the rest of us. You're articulate, witty, and your sincerity wins the crowd. You are equipped! One of my favorite quotes: "God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called"
Keep believing.....
J

Life Adapted said...

Hi Papa, I did read that post and it touched my heart, I wish there were more people like you and Mama. No good zoos in NJ, but there are plenty of malls and really that's just like going to the zoo. Let me know if you're ever going to be in the northeast - I'd love to meet you folks!
Be blessed

Life Adapted said...

Thanks J, you're the best encourager I know. It was wonderful, really. My oldest came with me and did her own little presentation. As my son said, "She's a mad-good public speaker." She was really sweet and the group just loved her. And I love that quote about God qualifies the called - as my son would say "true dat" (and this is why my son never gets invited to speak with me). See you tonight.

Robin said...

I'd love to hear you speak because I love to read your words :)

You're the real deal!

I like what Anonymous (J) said below about God equipping the called!

Very cool about your daughter speaking too - you trained her :)