Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Basketball Game

It's always interesting to see myself through the eyes of others. That being said, I will post a letter my daughter wrote, in my voice, to the Tech school where my son plays basketball. This was the situation: I went to his game to sit in the stands behind the players, to cheer his team on, to shout words of encouragement when they missed a shot and words of praise when they made one. I even wore the school colors to show my school spirit. I was as excited as any proud mama would be to see her freshman son play for a few minutes on the Varsity team . . . . I sat with the other fans in the crowded stands, grinning from ear to ear, with my camera in hand, ready to snap a shot of my son . . . oh, the anticipation, oh, the excitement, oh, the . . . vulgar language, the cursing, the rudeness, the feigned coughing and sneezing while the other team attempted foul shots, the shock to my senses. . .

Dear Tech,
I am a psychopathic conservative Christian mother who is delusional enough to think my voice can make a difference. The fans at your games are obnoxious and foul-mouthed. I have not yet realized that the majority of the teen population has degenerated into vulgar perverts, which is why I was shocked. I felt that I needed someone to blame for this behavior so I chose the administration and would like you to fix it, even though you have no more control over the students than their parents. Have a pleasant day.

My actual letter appealed to the school's desire to present itself as a class above the rest and included the following statement:

I would love to see Tech fans express their enthusiasm and support for their sports team in a manner more befitting a high school of this standard.

fast forward to next game. . .
. . . Mr. K. was in the stands making sure you could hear a pin drop while the other team was shooting foul shots and when the ref made a bad call no one yelled expletives. Thus, proving to my daughter that one voice can make a difference. Of course, now only 3 fans come to the games ...............................

No comments: