Thursday, January 15, 2009

Recycle This

So, I'm walking down the street in my neighborhood on recycling day with Bart, who I affectionately call Barley (Marley with a B). I love walking on recycling day. I get to peek at my neighbors eating habits. The Italian folks have huge tin cans of olive oil in their recycling bin, you know the kind I mean, the ones with all the art on the can - olive groves and ladies in flowing white dresses- do they bathe in it? How do you consume so much olive oil? They also had cans of tomatoes; crushed, chopped, pureed, sauce and paste, and cans of olives, too. They also had an empty quart-size container of basil, some diet soda cans, a mayonnaise jar and that's all I could see because Barley was walking too fast. Then there are the chubby neighbors - they put out one small bin with yogurt containers and diet soda - I figure they must eat out a lot. Then there is the house with the 2 college students and busy parents, their cans (3 to be exact) were loaded with beer bottles, Mountain Dew bottles, a Maxwell House coffee can and Dinty Moore Stew cans (I didn't know they still made that stuff). Then my next door neighbor, sure enough, has empty laundry detergent bottles, just like every week - they must be the cleanest folks on the block. Our new neighbor, Chucky we call him, who never speaks to anyone, never spends time outside, always wears black pants and dark glasses and we can't tell how old he is - guesses range in age from 25 to 55, hmmmmm, what's he got in his recycling bin . . . . we'll never know, he puts a lid on it................................

For those of you who are curious, the peri-menopausal lady with 3 teenagers and a chocoholic husband, had 2 cans filled with peanut butter jars, marshmallow fluff containers, Hershey's syrup bottles, water bottles, jelly jars, a can of pink beans and black beans, salsa jars and diet soda bottles. You can tell a lot about a person from their garbage, that's why we keep a lid on ours, too......................

2 comments:

Indian Lake Papa said...

Mama is smart - she pulls the labels off! HEH HEH! Quite a few sardine cans in mine - no soda containers.

Robin said...

We don't have a lid for ours - it would be nice because we get lots of wind and spend time chasing everyone's recycling up and down our street.

If you peeked into ours you would see lots of newspapers, whole wheat pasta boxes (I've made it from scratch before, but its way easier to just buy it...), lots of cans, but you wouldn't know what they are because I like Mama take off the labels, you'd also see yogurt containers, and my husband's diet drink cans.

One thing that is really sad is that out of the 28 townhouses on my part of the street only about 10 of them put out any recycling. It's not mandatory here, but it's FREE.