Saturday, July 11, 2009

My Son

My son is an amazing human being. He may shy away from cleaning his room or picking up after the dog or taking out the recycling, but when it comes to being a stand up boy for a big responsibility, he's there. He was there for Pop-Pop every step of the way. He was there for the boys of our friend who died in February and yesterday, he was there for his friend who's mother was dying. He spent 6+ hours in the hospital with his friend. He was there in his goofy 14 year old self, riding a wheelchair in a disguise, making everyone laugh for a moment and forget about the dying woman in the room next door. He was there in his 14 year old self snapping straws and playing cards and telling inappropriate jokes. He was there in his 14 year old self buying nasty blue power drinks and eating candy. He was there. I guess, that's the part makes him seem so much older to me. He was there. He was present. He stood up for a big job and never shied away. His friend's mother died last night. My son seemed all of a sudden a young man and a little boy, all at once, standing tall and strong, but with a broken heart. Please pray for my son's friend, his sister and his father. They lost a remarkable woman . . . I know, because she was also my friend.

5 comments:

:)De said...

He is able to stand so tall as you and his dad gave him a firm foundation! Sorry for your loss.

Peace and hugs

Parsley said...

So very sorry for the loss of your friend. Last year I was with my 13 year old daughter in the hospital as my friend, and her best friend's mom was dying. It was hard for both of us.

Kids can learn a lot about compassion from that type of experience but it is so sad to have to go through.

Life Adapted said...

:)De, Thank you for your kindness to me - it's really appreciated. I love how we have become friends through blogging.

Kiss the rotties for me.

Love and blessings

Life Adapted said...

Hi Parsley, Thank you for your kind comments - I am sorry for your loss, too. It's never easy. When we were praying for healing for my friend, she said, "Don't worry about me, it's a win-win situation. If God chooses to heal me, I win. If God chooses to call me home, I win." She was a blessing to everyone who came into contact with her.

Be blessed

Unknown said...

This post was really touching and it hit really close to home. We have a 15 year old boy who sounds very much like your 14 yo. Silly, goofy, candy-eating, power-drink swilling, irresponsible good guy. As my husband puts it, "Wil is Mr. Fun." But Mr. Fun gets up early to read his Bible with his dad and takes notes in church. I remember that when I find a ton of candy wrappers under his bed. :-) I'm glad your son could be there for your friend and her son. I will pray for the family.