Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A Story - Part III

Gone were my dreams of baking cupcakes and sewing. Gone were my ideas of shopping and manicures. Gone were my plans of trips to the mall and a fashion show. Here were baseball games, bowling, go-carts, basketball courts and football. Here were trips to the fire house to look at fire trucks. Here were trips to the police station to talk with cops and look at jail cells. Here we were - a 13 year old boy and me - trying to find common ground to spend time with each other each week. I signed a contract with BB/BS that said I would give my little brother a few hours a week, each week, for a year. After 2 months I wondered how we would fill the next 10 months. I wondered how many times a boy could play basketball or go bowling before he gets bored. To my surprise, boys never get bored of such things. To my surprise, we had a lot in common. To my surprise, it was easy to love this kid, even though he was a boy. And to my utter surprise, I loved every baseball game, basketball game, football game and every visit to the police station. There were good reasons why Tina wanted him to be matched with me. My little brother really needed a big sister - not a mother, not a brother, but a sister. Someone to encourage him and help him along the way, someone to show him how to take responsibility for himself and someone to be proud of him. And proud I was. My little brother went on to do great things. . .

. . . to be continued . . .

4 comments:

R.M. Jackson said...

Great things... Hmmmm. Ok, give... who was he? :D

Indian Lake Papa said...

Yep, I'd make a good brother, you sound like a special sis! I'd rather not go to the police station though.

:)De said...

LOL @ Papa

Life Adapted said...

Ruth - sorry to torture you with my . . . endings - I'll post Part IV tomorrow :) Thanks for reading.

Papa, I would never take you to the police station for fear they may just keep you :)

:)De - thanks for reading along, too.

Be blessed dear ones