Saturday, July 18, 2009

A Story - Part I

This story starts 22 years ago. My husband and I just bought our home and we were feeling extremely blessed. We wanted to share our blessings in a way that would be personal. With my husband's support, I volunteered to become a big sister for Big Brothers/Big Sisters. The way I saw it was that I could spend time with a little girl doing the girly things around our house that my husband would not want to do. In that way, we all benefited. My husband would not be pestered to learn to bake cupcakes and arrange flowers and sew curtains, I could do these things with a little girl that needed some special attention. I would be serving God and my community. A win-win-win situation. I went through the screening process to become a "big" and then I waited to be called. I wondered about the little girl I would get to spend time with. How old would she be? Would she have disabilities? Would she like to be read to? Would she like to sew? Would she be allergic to our cats? Would she love me as much as I already loved her? It seemed like forever before the social worker called me. Finally, my phone rang and this was the conversation as I remember it.

"Hi! This is Tina from BB/BS and I have a 'little' for you. I think this a perfect match. I think you will be a fabulous mentor to this 'little'."
"Okay, tell me all about her. When do I meet her? Oh, I just can't wait to get started."
"Well," says Tina, "about your 'little'. . . "

to be continued. . .

3 comments:

Parsley said...

I appreciate this story's beginning but am really anxious for the middle and end. Blog baby, blog!

:)De said...

You know I am happy to see the words" Part 1...

Indian Lake Papa said...

I need a mom too! Would you be my mom ?? By the way, I had a birthday yesterday - a late gift would e acceptable.