Thursday, July 23, 2009

A Story - Part V

I loved my little brother so much. I was so proud of him. I treasured our time together. I was honored by his love and friendship. Our contract with BB/BS was for one year, but it was now going on 5 and I couldn't imagine him in the Marines. But, I guess, I couldn't imagine him anywhere else either. He was over 6 feet tall, standing straight and strong and broad from the years of sports and lifting. He was smart (well, except the time he wanted me to stop and pick up road-kill because his science teacher said anyone who brought in a dead animal would get extra credit. He yelled, "Stop the car!" I said sweetly, "Honey, it's too late for that animal, it's dead. Don't be upset." He said, "Upset? Heck, that dead animal will get me extra credit." I was like, "Nuh-uh, not in my car, knuckle head."). My little brother gave me more than I ever gave him. Tina was right when she said we'd be a perfect match. I am so glad that my words deceived me when I said "yes" but was thinking "no." I see now that God was directing me, God was giving me an uber blessing. Here it was that I thought I was serving God and my community and it was God who was serving me - a gift on a silver platter. My little brother, a US Marine, a high ranking Military Police Officer. Well, that was nearly 17 years ago and he is still serving in the military. He's married to a beautiful woman and he has 2 amazing children and even though he's in charge of over 500 men, he's still a knuckle head. I know this because his family and my family spent a wonderful weekend together in Baltimore last month . . .

. . . but the story doesn't end here . . .

1 comment:

R.M. Jackson said...

Ok...so I've now ruled out Colin Powell, Obama, and a host of others... and since I know zilch about the Marines, I'll just have to wait to find out who this mystery fellow is.

Ooooh boy! :)