Thursday, April 3, 2008

There Is Hope

Below is a poem written by my dad sometime before his death in 1982. It was found after he died, taped to my very first needle point project. The needle point was a pathetic work, with many mistakes, but I was proud enough of it to give it to my dad, and he proud enough to keep it and attach this poem. The needle point was the back of a little girl, in bonnet and smock, carrying an old suitcase. There was the feeling that her trip was unwanted (maybe that's because my work was so sloppy, I'm not really sure). I have been to my father's grave only twice, the day he was buried, which I have no recollection of and then about a year later. He's not there and I know that, but the visit made me extremely sad and extremely anxious. I felt the need to leave something behind, but I had nothing. So, in the bottom of my purse I found an empty gum wrapper and I wrote the last words of this poem on it and buried it beside the grave. I don't even know what made me think of this today, but I did, so I am sharing it here.

I see the sun, but there is no warmth,
I hear the wind, but there is no breeze,
My heart speaks, but there is no sound,
I hear a knock, but no one is there,
I see the stars in the heavenly sky,
and then I remember there is hope in the coming
morning.

Yes, there is hope. Hallelujah! Praise God!

No comments: